- 60g butter
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 200ml whole milk
- 100ml double cream
- 6 large free-range eggs, separated
- 250g smoked salmon, finely sliced
- 3 tbsp snipped fresh chives
- 100g cream cheese
- 1. Preheat the grill to high. Melt half the butter in a small pan over a medium heat, then add the flour and stir for 1 minute. Gradually add the milk and cream, stirring, until it’s a thick sauce. Season and remove from the heat.
- 2. Spoon into a medium bowl and mix in the egg yolks, salmon and chives. Mix well, then add the cream cheese in small dollops, but don’t mix it in.
- 3. In a separate bowl, whisk the egg whites to soft peaks, then gently fold them into the egg yolk mixture.
- 4. Melt the remaining butter in a 26cm ovenproof frying pan over a medium heat. Once the butter is foaming, pour in the egg mixture. Turn the heat down to low and cook for 2-3 minutes until just set on the bottom. Do not stir. Pop the frying pan under the preheated grill for 4-5 minutes to brown the top. Cut into slices and serve immediately, with buttered sourdough toast.