- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 4 green onions, diced
- 1 tbsp grated ginger (approx. 2-inch knob of ginger)
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 5 star anise
- 1 tsp cloves
- 6-8 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 300 g/ 10 oz mixed mushrooms (enoki, swiss brown, button, shiitake)
- 1 tbsp hoisin sauce
- 1 packet of brown rice noodles
- Handful of bean sprout
- Handful of fresh basil
- Handful of fresh mint
- Handful of cilantro
- Bunch of bok choy
- Juice of 1 lime
- In a large pot, add ½ tbsp sesame oil and sauté green onions, ginger, cinnamon sticks, star anise and cloves. Add broth and bring to a full boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- While the broth is cooking, in a large skillet over medium heat add ½ tbsp sesame oil. Add the mushrooms and sauté for 4-5 minutes until softened. Stir in the hoisin and coat the mushrooms well.
- While the broth is cooking and mushrooms ARE being sautéd, cook the brown rice noodles as per the packet.
- Divide the rice noodles between four large bowls, then fill each bowl with the broth. To each bowl, add a few bok choy leaves, bean sprouts, mushroom mix, fresh basil, fresh cilantro, fresh mint and serve with a squeeze of fresh lime juice and an extra dash of hoisin, if desired.