- 1 medium (about 700g) green cabbage
- 4 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 6 tbsp fruity extra-virgin olive oil
- ¾ tsp salt
- 20 large fresh basil leaves, finely shredded
- 75g Parmesan, finely grated
- A good-quality, sweet and syrupy, aged balsamic vinegar for drizzling
- 1. Remove the tough, dark green outer leaves from the cabbage. Cut the cabbage in half or into quarters (depending on its size), cut away the core and, if the leaves have thick central stems, separate them and strip the leaves away from the stems. Discard the stems, bundle up the leaves and slice them across as thinly as you can. You should be left with about 600g shredded cabbage.
- 2. Whisk the lemon juice, olive oil and salt together to make a dressing. Season to taste with ground black pepper.
- 3. Put the cabbage into a large serving bowl with the basil and toss together briefly, then pour over the dressing and toss together well. Toss through the Parmesan, drizzle with a little balsamic vinegar and serve straightaway.
Per serving (based on 8): 140kcals, 11.4g fat (3.1g saturated), 4.9g protein, 4.2g carbs (4.2g sugars), 0.2g salt, 2.8g fibre