Root vegetables are so special because being below ground they absorb nutrients from the soil making them a powerhouse for anti-inflammatory vitamins such as A, B, C, and iron. Plus they are chock full of antioxidants.
- 2 tbsp. Olive oil
- 1⁄2 large celeriac (celery root) peeled and chopped 3 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 large rutabaga, peeled and chopped
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and grated
- 2 cups spinach
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tbsp. Minced fresh parsley
- 8 cups vegetable broth
- Sea salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a large soup kettle over medium heat. Toss in onion and saute until onion is translucent in appearance (approx. 3min.) Then add in the garlic and saute for approx. one minute.
- Toss in the rest of the root vegetables and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes. Next add broth, parsley, bay leaves.
- Simmer for approx 30 min.
- Toss in spinach and simmer until vegetables are tender (15-30min.).
- For thinner soup: add broth to desired consistency
- For thicker soup: take an immersion blender to the pot when finished and give it a few pulses and Wallah!
- Enjoy the colorful blend of root vegetables that bring warmth and comfort to your table, and gut-healing nutrients, minerals, and vitamins to nourish from within.