White beans mash seamlessly into a creamy protein-packed spread for a satisfying healthy sandwich that makes for an easy lunch or dinner. Mix it up by trying it with canned chickpeas or black beans. This vegetarian sandwich recipe is also a fiber superstar: avocado, beans, greens and whole-wheat bread team up to give it 15 grams of fiber.
- 2 medium avocados
- 1 (15 ounce) can white beans, rinsed
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- ¼ teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- ¼ teaspoon ground pepper
- 8 slices whole-wheat bread, toasted
- 1 cup chopped jarred roasted red peppers, rinsed
- 8 thin slices sharp Cheddar cheese (about 4 ounces)
- 4 cups baby lettuce
Ready In 15 minutes
- Mash avocados, beans, lemon juice, oil, garlic, thyme and pepper in a medium bowl until well combined but still slightly chunky. Divide among 4 slices of bread ( ½ cup each). Top each sandwich with ¼ cup red peppers, 2 slices cheese, 1 cup lettuce and the remaining bread.